February 10, 2011

Dorothy Porter vs. Lyn Hejinian

So when it comes down to it, which is easier to read? Language poetry or a verse novel? You can find my explanation of what language poetry is here. A verse novel is basically a novel written in a series of verses, or poems, that have metrical composition. Which is “opposed to prose which uses grammatical units like sentences and paragraphs.”

Lyn Hejinian wrote in prose poetry. A critic said “crucial to understanding Hejinian's work is the realization that it cultivates, even requires, an act of resistant reading.” The less you try to read her work, the more you get out of it. That’s a bit confusing. In my previous blog entry about Hejinian, there is also information about how I read My Life, her most famous work.

An Australian author, Dorothy Porter, is famous for her verse novel. One example of this is The Monkey’s Mask, which is a thriller about a lesbian detective who wants to solve the case of who killed Mickey, a university student who loves poetry. Porter follows Jill, who is working on the case, but finds herself distracted and romantically involved with one of Mickey’s professors.

Even though Porter deviated from the standard prose approach to writing, I found her work understandable and easy to follow. Though the poems look much different on page than blocks of prose, I quickly forgot I was reading poems and was able to pick up the story line. Though I was reading short, usually less than a page long, poems, the story line was clear and sequential. This is quite the opposite of Hejinian, who often times leads her audience in circles with repetition and a hard to find plot.

I found Porter’s work to be easier to understand at first read, but both works to be equally enjoyable and rewarding, even if I had to work harder at reading Hejinian’s work to read it how she would want me to.

1 comment:

  1. It was great learning from your post about new writers (well, new for me). I liked that you linked to your previous post on language poetry so that I could better understand the contrast with verse novels. I've only read one verse novel before called Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy by Sonya Sones (long title, I know), but I really felt similar to your situation in that it was easy to follow and, after a while, I forgot I was reading poems as the narrative form. I'm going to look into Dorothy Porter and Lyn Hejinian's works. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete